Wednesday, May 2, 2007
Videogame Review - Super Paper Mario (Wii)
Overall Rating: B-/C (still fun, just not what I expected)
Synopsis: Not as enjoyable as its predecessor, Paper Mario 2: Thousand Year Door (GameCube).
SPM is still a good game. The gameplay is fun, and the flipping between 2-D to 3-D components rock a lot. It's just that in transitioning between to the two games, they changed some elements that changed the game noticably:
CONS/Different from Paper Mario 2:
• No more turn-based fighting: It's just jump on his head 9x or not.
• You can arrange the Pixls and Characters and become invincible: Bowser on a Hoverboard!
• So much platform, so little RPG: A couple of levels consist entirely of just jumping up, up, and further up.
• Quick/Easy RPG: A good game to ease a newb into the RPG videogame genre
• Flipping 2-D to 3-D is neat: Exploring this power is incorporated throughout the game
• Bowser on a Hoverboard: Exactly! Sometimes you want to be invincible. And on a hoverboard
• Self-referential Geekery: Lots of references to geek culture and previous Paper Mario games - as Princess Peach, you have to play through a dating sim intro to a boss battle = awesome!