Monday, May 7, 2007

D. Gray-man Volume 1

Overall Rating: B-
Synopsis: The plot revolves around Allen Walker, an Exorcist, in the end of the 19th century Europe. Allen is a member of the Dark Order, a group of Exorcists connected with the Vatican. Their mission is to stop The Millennium Earl, an evil ghoul intending to cleanse the world by destroying all the humans in the manner of Noah's great flood. In the first volume, we get some back story, learn that exorcists kick ass, have a clubhouse, and don't play well with others.

D. Gray-man is written by Hoshino Katsura, and shows a lot of promise. I knew I was going to like the book when I immediately began considering cosplay options for the main character, Allen Walker. In the world of D. Grayman, apparently there are ghosts, ghouls and more, and the only thing that can fight them is an Exorcist. As mentioned in the synopsis, there is a clubhouse of Exorcists who are pretty much a bunch of pricks, but they have special powers and wear cool outfits. The plot isn't bad, but I didn't feel particularly attached to any of the characters (other than because they looked cool). It also felt a little too clichéd, but I'll probably pick up the second volume to see if I get drawn in any more. They are also apparently making this into an anime, and the art at least looks top notch, so I will give it a shot once it comes stateside.

If you're itching for something new to read, check out D. Gray-man, but there is lots of better manga out there, so only check this one out if you've exhausted the obvious choices.

4 comments:

Jo said...

I've watched the first few eps of the anime (the bootlegged and fansubbed variety) and it's pretty good. I'm an art slut, so anything with decent character designs works for me, even when the plot gets a bit muddled.

For some reason, I always associate Death Note with D. Gray-man, probably since I discovered them at the same time. But you folks should review Death Note. (And I know Nick, at least, has it on his bookshelf.)

-Josie

Nick said...

Don't worry, it's on its way. ;-)

Bunny said...

The Death Note movies were so big here in Japan...the kid who played Tatsuya in Battle Royale played the lead in the Death Note movies. If you can get your hands on the movies, I'd recommend giving them a review as well :)

Darby Quigley said...

I felt like the first book doesn't give the rest of the series credit. Most people only read the first book and decide it wasn't interesting, I think the best way to realize the full potential of the series is to read books 1-2 at the same time. The reason the first book is a little boring is so that parts of Allen's don't have to revealed in the middle of a fight so that it seems like a whole year before the battle ends ( like in chapter 2-3). Most of the first 50 episodes of the anime are fillers and a couple of parts do get dragged on to keep you watching, but if like me, you will read the manga more than watch the anime. Please, if you have rad this review above go and read vol. 1&2 by your self.(like on onemanga.com) PLEASE GIVE D.GRAY-MAN A CHANCE!!!