Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Hobotaku Unite!

Me doing a little dance...We've all seen them in the aisles of the local Barnes & Noble. Perhaps you've even tripped over one of them, or had to reach around them to get to the manga you were looking for. These, are the hobotaku, those so obsessed with manga that they are willing to sit on the floor of a store in order to get their fix, and the inspiration for this blog.

It all began one evening, as I stared at the hordes of tweens in the aisles, rushing to finish the latest volume of Naruto before their mom came to pick them up, I wondered if there was a better way to find out what manga was good and what was crap. I tried looking for existing sites, but all of them came up short. Then, my friend Leah and I were talking about writing reviews of manga, anime, and all things geeky that caught our attention, and we came up with the idea for a hobotaku blog where we could rave about our favorite stuff and diss the crap we hate. Oh, and argue when we don't agree. Then I did a little dance (see above). Thus, Hobotaku was born. The first reviews should be up soon, so pick your ass up off the floor of your bookstore and read this instead. We promise to hurl verbal abuse at you and tell you what to like, just like your mom.

7 comments:

polymerjones said...

This is brilliant!

Xodin said...

Woot! I love this idea.

Perhaps you can review Bizenghast sometime?

Feral Chicken said...

Genius!

Bunny said...

I have a request:

I just watched an anime called "Nekojiru-so" or "Cat Soup" in English. I think it deserves a Hobotaku review ;)

Edu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Edu said...

Hi. It was in one of my flickr images that someone coined the term "hobotaku".

I decided to do a Google search to see if the term had "taken". I'm glad it seems to be. This is cool.

Nick said...

I'm glad you found us. When we were trying to come up with a name for the site, the name seemed perfect, and we ran with it. Thanks for posting the pic that coined the term that worked so beautifully with the concept we had.