Thursday, July 19, 2007

Shaman King


Overall Rating: C
Synopsis: is both an anime series and a manga series by Hiroyuki Takei. Apparently, the manga series ended at 32 volumes. The manga starts when Manta, a nerd, tries to take a shortcut through a cemetery. On the way through, Manta learns that he can see spirits and meets Yoh. Manta learns that Yoh is a shaman and that he can commune with ghosts. Yoh soon learns that he may be the Shaman King and that other shamans will challenge him for the title.

32 volumes is a lot of manga about Yoh, who teams up with ghosts and spirits to try to become the Shaman King. Apparently, the Shaman King is the one who will save the world, so all of the shamans fight each other to earn the honor...wait, what?

I am only 2 volumes into Shaman King, but I am already bored. Don't get me wrong, I love manga involving a spirit world and people fighting with their supernatural abilities. Unfortunately, Shaman King's plot doesn't seem to be coming together, and the character's don't seem very interesting. That may change a little further down the line (I can only assume that if it lasted 32 volumes that there's something decent about it), but so far, I can't recommend it.

2 comments:

Dom said...

Well, I kind of found the anime to be more amusing. Morty isn't very good looking in the first few parts of the manga.

Nick said...

Hrm...maybe I will have to track down some of the anime.