Thursday, June 21, 2007

Manga Review - Dramacon Volumes 1 & 2


Overall Rating: C
Synopsis from Tokyopop: Dramacon is a romantic dramedy about a romance that blooms over the course of several years at an anime convention.

Christie is a budding writer who is attending an anime convention for the first time in her life. She and her artist boyfriend, Derek, get a table in the artist alley to promote a self-published ashcan comic that she wrote and he drew.

Derek is a little too taken with the attention all the female cosplayers are paying him, which upsets Christie and forces her to deal with the player side of Derek that she had ignored up until now. Things quickly become more complicated, especially after she bumps into Matt, a handsome -- but shy -- cosplayer.

Svetlana Chmakova's Dramacon plumbs the depths of the emotional attachments that spring up in the superheated world of fan conventions - topics near and dear to the hearts of all true otaku ...


Normally, I try to write my own synopsis, but for Svetlana Chmakova's "Dramacon", I used Tokyopop's. The reason being that this is what made me pick up the first volume at Barnes & Noble, and check it out. Unfortunately, this one doesn't live up to it's description. The characters aren't very well fleshed out, and they seem to jump around a lot. For example, Derek goes from being kind of a jerk as far as boyfriends go, but an ok guy, to trying to rape Christie. Pretty big change if you ask me, and the reasoning behind it doesn't quite add up for me.

That said, I have to admit it's a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. The first two volumes are out, and I read them both in B&N's cafe one night. I think it has to do with my love for conventions and other people's drama (which go hand-in-hand). I think the series has a lot of promise, but is missing the mark. Hopefully, the third book will improve the series, and I can indulge more in some vicarious drama.

No comments: